Fredericksburg over the years had several barbers who served the community and met the needs of the residents. Years ago barbers were called Tonsorial Artists. The work of barbering really was an art that required the utmost attention to detail. Several barbers graced the pages of the town over the years. Some of the barbers included; Arthur L. Blouch, Alvin J. Unger, John A. Lentz, Clarence G. Gebhart, Harper F. Souilliard. Michael Buchmoyer and his two sons; Hiram Buchmoyer and Edward M. Buchmoyer and Frederick G. Lauer and his brothers Albert C. Lauer and Richard S. Lauer.
The barber shop of Albert C. Lauer was started from the earlier shop of Harper F. Souilliard who moved to Lebanon to continue his business in that town. Lauer took over in April, 1924 located in the rear of the first floor of the old P.O.S. of A. building at 124 E. Main Street. Albert Lauer ran his shop at that location for a couple of years. Later by 1931 his brother Frederick G. Lauer joined him, and Albert C. Lauer moved to Myerstown while the younger Frederick Lauer opened his own shop across the street at 126 E. Main Street. Frederick Lauer’s new shop was in front of the building over the next several years, and was the same building used as the old Buchmoyer barber shop from 1880-1897.
By 1940 Frederick G. Lauer moved to another location and bought the home at 108 W. Main Street and set up his barbering business. This home belonged to Adam H. Rank who was a local contractor and carpenter in Fredericksburg for many years prior to Lauer. Both brothers worked together at their barbering business for the next 30 years. Frederick Lauer known to locals as “Tut” Lauer always has a kind word to everyone he met. His barber shop on Main Street was a fixture many older residents will surely remember. Frederick G. Lauer died on August 6, 1972 in Lebanon, PA and Richard S. Lauer moved out to the west end of town.
Photographs of Frederick G. Lauer in Barber Shop-circa 1931 and Frederick G. Lauer-circa 1975-courtesy of Anna M. Lauer.