The cemetery lying on the outskirts of Fredericksburg has its roots buried deep in the history of the community. The establishment of a general cemetery had been considered for a number of years, and finally camimg to realization. On September 4, 1869 one of Fredericksburg native sons John H. Lick, who was then living in San Jose, California with his father James Lick, gave a generous donation of $150.00 and a grant of land totaling 2 acres, and 123 perches for use as a cemetery. The resulting land acquisition came from the public sale of the estate of Elias Desh.
At that time the Cedar Hill Cemetery Association was organized to transact the necessary business, a charter and by-laws were drawn up by the cemetery committee and adopted by the organization. Later a grant for the Charter of Incorporation was secured on January 4, 1870 in the court of Common Pleas of Lebanon County. As the cemetery required more space, other benefactors came forward to sell land essential for to the cemetery. Some of the supporters included Jonas Beckley in 1870 and the following year Josiah S. Light in 1871. Later in 1927 Ida Grimes donated additional land for use of the cemetery.
The first election of officers held for the association was on April 18, 1870-having elected Jacob L. Bicksler who previously was a member of the Pennsylvania Assembly as now was the President of the newly formed organization.