One of towns well known general stores for many years was the Bee-Hive store owned by Cornelius D. Dundore and was located at 137 E. Main Street. Before Dundore the store front had a long tradition under the ownership of Samuel Oberholtzer and his son John H. Oberholtzer from 1875 to 1894, and later by Charles T. Behney and Harry O. Behney his son from 1894 to 1916 both of whom ran the store successfully. C.D. Dundore was a native of Berks County, originally from Strausstown, Pennsylvania where he was born on October 28, 1869. At a young age he moved to Northumberland County and lived at Shamokin, Pennsylvania from 1903 to 1915 working as a clerk in the Burd & Rogers General Store at 233 W. Spruce Street in Shamokin and later was a salesman.
While working in Shamokin in February of 1916 he purchased the general store of the late Charles T. Behney, then being conducted by his son Harry O. Behney. By April of 1916, Dundore was traveling regularly to Allentown and Philadelphia buying supplies to sell in his new store. He was often accompanied by Harry O. Behney who helped Dundore become acquainted with the routine.
C.D. Dundore operated the store continuously for a number of years until his death on June 17, 1933. His body was buried in the family plot at Cedar Hill Cemetery in town. It was after the death of C.D. Dundore that the store ownership changed with his widow Amelia (Masser) Dundore assuming control. She wasn’t alone in this work, with both of their sons, Wilbur M. Dundore and Raymond D. Dundore working as clerks from their youth. She died on July 2, 1946 in Fredericksburg and now the torch of ownership was passed to the younger son Wilbur M. Dundore. His older brother Raymond D. Dundore instead chose to go to college and later to join the U.S. Army serving in World War II with the rank of Lt. Colonel. Raymond D. Dundore died in New York, NY on June 22, 1949 as the age of 45, then he was removed for burial in the family plot.
Wilbur M. Dundore operated the store many years after the death of his mother along with his wife Lorraine (Boeshore) Dundore and also sold kerosene and gasoline. After the Dundore’s retired from active business in 1972, the store front was owned by Lloyd Post who ran a general store until 1978. Other businesses that operated aftwards included Country Towne Restaurant owned by Howard Zohn, Fielder’s Choice Cafe-operated by Terry Knapp. Later it was owned by J&S Pizza and is now owned by Robert and Cindy Nichols since 1998 with Francisco’s Pizza in business today.
Photographs of C.D. Dundore in Front of store and interior of store-circa 1920 and Wilbur M. Dundore courtesy of Patricia A. Nau.